Saturday, February 2, 2013

Why I Said No To The World & Yes To My Heart

"The more you love your decisions, the less you need others to love them."

Hey guys/gals! Today I'm going to speak about something a bit personal for me but which I'd really love to share with you all anyways. This past winter I hadn't had much trouble balancing my life with my diary, studies, writing and my hobbies during my free days.

It was a nice winter which made me realize how much writing a "to-do-list" before bedtime each day would lift up my productivity and enjoyment of life in general. Then it happened...

My last semester in highschool


As many other seniors, I'm the typical busy girl who has to balance school with after school "work".

(For those of you that don't know, it's not work. It's actually called my practice for Culinary Arts class. It's like if you were working but instead of being an employee you are a volunteer for the business, for a certain amount of hours. Those accumulated hours are a requisite to get my Culinary Arts Diploma and graduate.)

For the sake of simplicity I'll call it CAP (Culinary Arts Practice) from now on. Moving on, my CAP takes out a lot of my time this semester. Heck, I barely have time for my own school studies.

That's when I noticed that I had to delay or let go some of my scheduled tasks I had done up till now and truly listen to my heart. Listen to it well and follow it with trust.

I talked with my family, I talked with my friends, I talked with fellow bloggers and I talked with myself (As silly as it sounds, it works). Most of them disagreed at the decisions I'd take and the pressure was wow, incredible.

Saying No


After much thinking and reflecting I decided to do the one thing I truly wanted: and that was to say no:

I said no  to a prestigious college this year (To be honest it's not in my interests to go anyways.)
I said no to the newspaper (Though I might consider returning during May but I'm not sure.)
I said no to my novel (Delayed)
I said no to some friendships
I said no to fear-based opinions
I said no to the typical way of thinking
I sad no to the world and I said yes to my heart.

Saying Yes


It's not bad to want the things I said no to and I'd openly consider continuing this projects in the near future(and I plan to actually)-- but in the meanwhile, I just want to keep my priorities and time on what truly matters to me in life right now:

I said yes to Basked in Sunshine
I said yes to my Driver's License
I said yes to my hobbies on my spare time
I said yes to new friends
I said yes to waking up early
I said yes to smiling
I said yes to me and what I wanted

It doesn't matter what I want tomorrow. I just want to be open and be on congruence with what I want and what I'm doing today. Saying no isn't easy, but listening to the heart is important and if I ever were to regret my decisions-- then when the time comes, I'll deal with it.

Maybe this way of life isn't the one the wold agrees with, maybe it's hard because you are one person against an entire society, maybe it's a path that a lot of us fear-- but it's when you say no to the world that you can truly be happy... and my purpose in life is to be happy.

In the next part of this series, I'll share with you tips on when it's ok to say no, how to do it and 5 reasons on why the word 'no' holds so much value in certain situations.

To keep up to date with updates sign up to my Facebook, Twitter or simply subscribe to Basked in Sunshine in the form below!

By the way, I'm not right and I'm not wrong. This is simply the path I choose during this moment in life. How about you? What path will you choose?

photo credit: HaoJan via photopin cc
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

3 comments:

  1. Hey Jica,

    I absolutely love what you've shared in this article: the layout, picture, and especially your message.

    It sounds like you are absolutely making the right decisions for yourself at this time, and I'm sure you will be an inspiration for others who want to do the same.

    So excited for you!

    ~Christina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Christine!

      Thank you for your feedback and yes I've been through lots of hardships lately. Doing my best to overcome them!

      Delete
  2. First time here at your blog and wanted to say i enjoyed reading this.

    ReplyDelete