Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Kindness Challenge Day 6: Talk to Someone You Don’t Normally Talk To

Tuesday, November 6, 2012


"Every friend was once a stranger" ~ Unknown
Today's task was to talk to someone you don't normally talk to. There was 2 levels to the task:

Level 1: Talk to one person you don't normally talk to
Level 2:  Talk to at least three people you don't normally talk to

If you wish to read a more detailed description on today's 14-Day Kindness Challenge task go directly to PersonalExcellence.co and if you haven't signed up for the Kindness Challenge yet then what are you waiting for? Log in right NOW before registrations close! Go, go, go!

Update: Registrations for the 14-Day Kindness Challenge at PE have closed but you are still free to do the challenge at your own pace, any time. You can always share your results in the comments section in Basked in Sunshine. Thank you so much for reading my experience. I hope it will serve as an inspiration for you guys/gals in the near future. Let's make the world a kinder place - together. :)

Moving on to my experience on today's task I'm simply WOW, speechless!! This has been my favorite task in the 14-Day Kindness Challenge as of now! :D What I expected to be a scary experience, ended up being the start of 3(and probably more) new beautiful friendships! ;)

I, literally, pushed my boundaries to its limits and talked to 20 people today!! 12 who were people I didn't normally talk to and 8 close friends who I do usually talk to but who I enjoyed conversing with as well. There were 3 specific people who I normally wouldn't talk to that attracted my attention today and this was my experience with those 3 people - let's call them L, F and S

  • L -When I first talked with L I noticed she was being a bit distant and I was about to abandon the conversation until, naturally, we hit it off and were conversing with laughs and jokes! :)
  • F - Then there was F. F is a person who I had always wanted to befriend but I never quite had the guts to do so. He graduated last year and as a school girl that would usually mean a lost chance for a friendship. I was super scared to speak to him because I thought he would find me annoying but..actually no! He was kind and open since the start and we spoke like if we had always been good friends!
  • S - S was special because I felt a tremendous amount of comfort and acceptance talking with her. S is a person who I'd love to become friends with in the long run.

I talked to most of the people today via facebook messages and I'm simply amazed and happy of the results! It took me by such a surprise how from being scared, as the conversations kept on, the atmosphere changed into that of trust and companionship.

 Lessons

I learned a valuable lesson - which is the fact that to make a friend you should first be a friend. Since I was a kid I've had this false belief that talking to a person - who's considered a stranger -is rude and will only bother the busy lives of others since I've considered myself a bother and that's where my false belief lies in - on the fact that I suppose people find me annoying due my childhood experiences related with bullying and rejection -. I'm slowly starting to understand it's not like that. I don't need to be liked by every person I meet. Lately, I've just been my own person and the friends have appeared almost as magic because people find my real personality to be interesting and fun. I love my friends and can't wait to meet even more people in my life. :)




 

No comments:

Post a Comment